Why Daily Exercise is Vital
What a great topic and everyone has a different view. Some of us exercise everyday and don’t feel good if we ever miss a day. Some of us haven’t exercised in years and feel okay about that. While others fall somewhere in-between, maybe exercise when it is convenient or when the schedule allows.
Our bodies were designed by our Creator to move. Our joints, our muscles, our breathing and circulatory systems all function better when we are moving. Our digestion and immune systems work better when we move. Our brain and our reactions are more efficient when we move on a regular basis. Our bodies heal and recover from injuries faster when we move.
The benefits of movement, exercise if you will, are never-ending and too often overlooked. Years ago, just getting through life kept us moving. We walked more, climbed more stairs, rode bicycles more and did more physical labor as a normal part of life. With modern conveniences such as remote controls, cell phones, elevators and computers our movement has been reduced to a point where we could probably stay in one place most of each day.
The benefits of exercise are far more than just losing weight or achieving a more slender body. Exercise benefits everything from our sleep quality to our energy level, even our memory. Here are just a small sample of the benefits of regular exercise:
- Get an energy boost – When we are feeling exhausted the last thing we want to do is exercise. According to experts, that is exactly what we should do. Low-intensity exercise, equivalent to a leisurely stroll or bicycle ride, helped boost energy by 20% and drop fatigue levels.
- Improve memory – Studies have shown aerobic exercise such as swimming or jogging, boosts memory function and learning ability.
- Increase strength and flexibility – Strength training, whether it is lifting weights, doing bodyweight exercises or practicing yoga, helps improve muscle strength and muscle mass. This is particularly true as we age. Improved strength keeps bones strong and is a key component of naturally fighting osteoporosis. Stretching and flexibility movements improves circulation, digestion and lowers the risk for cardiovascular disease.
- Boost happiness levels – Exercise is one of the fastest natural ways to improve happiness and overall feel better. Recent studies have shown people that exercise regularly had more pleasant feelings and more positive outlooks.
- Sleep better – Who doesn’t want to sleep better? Exercise helps strengthen circadian rhythms and promotes higher quality sleep. Unfortunately, better sleep does not always show up immediately. This one takes some patience as improving sleep patterns may take weeks or a few months after beginning regular exercise. But it’s worth the wait.
- Live longer – One of regular exercise’s greatest benefits is longer and healthier lives. Not only do regular exercisers live an average of 1.8 to 4.2 years longer, but those years are fuller with fewer trips to the Doctor.
The next time we think we are too busy to exercise, just review all the benefits of regular movement. Sitting around and watching TV robs years from our lives. Jump up, go out and do something, anything is better than staying on the couch. Be well.